Thursday, March 8, 2018

Pre-surgery Appointment (Round 2)

Because I ended up with a new neurosurgeon, we were invited back for a second pre-surgery appointment to be able to ask questions and get to know Dr. R.  This was really nice for us.  Dr. D, the one who couldn't do an awake craniotomy, was not the most charismatic guy we've met.  Dr. R was really nice, and we appreciated being able to come back and ask him questions.

I can't remember a whole lot from our second visit.  We went over some of my main concerns again:
  • He wasn't going to shave very much of my head--just a thin line for the incision.
  • They knew which drug to put me on if I did have a seizure.
  • I should come in at 6am for my surgery, but the hospital would call me to confirm.  (more on this in a different post)
  • He would do his best to preserve my speech.
  • The neurosurgery team would be keeping an eye on me for a year after my surgery.
That's about it.  Most importantly I remember that the visit was as comforting as a visit with the person who is about to cut into your head can be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment